Spring is almost here!
By Aldie Volunteer Fire Department Official
March 10, 2024

Time for a reminder!

Poison Ivy Is Dangerous

Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac can produce an allergic reaction if any part of the plant, including, leaves, stems, roots or berries, is touched, bruised, crushed, cut, or burned. The colorless oil is quickly absorbed by the skin and can adhere to clothing, animal fur, equipment, and yard tools. Touching those items, even weeks later, can cause a reaction, referred to as contact dermatitis.

What Happens if Poison Ivy is Burned?

Inhalation of smoke from burning brush containing any of the poison ivies can irritate the nasal passages, mouth, and lungs. Smoke particulate matter and ash can carry the oil, causing internal as well as external danger.